Jewish cemetery of Jihlava
This historic monument is a noteworthy reminder of the existence of a Jewish community in Jihlava.
Founded in 1869, the cemetery measures 8,879 sq. m. and has over 1000 tombstones. Its reconstruction was completed in 1993: a wrought-iron entrance gate, adorned with Jewish symbols, was added and commemorative metal plaques were set into the face wall of the funeral parlor. The cemetery contains the tombstones of the members of the Jewish community of Prague, e.g., S. Werner, Rabbi J. J. Unger, the parents of Gustav Mahler and Louis Fürnberg, and many others. A memorial to holocaust victims was unveiled on May 8, 1995.
No other Jewish architectural monuments have been preserved. During the 60's and 70's, many historic houses were ruthlessly demolished. The Jewish synagogue, built in 1862 - 1863, was burnt down in March 1939. The remains of the synagogue were torn down in 1950. An outdoor market is in its place today. The tragedy, which befell Jihlava's about 1000 Jews during the W.W. II, is now commemorated by a plaque, unveiled in April 1992, which is set in the former fortification wall near the outdoor market.